ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » How to load test delivery time?

How to load test delivery time? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
walterA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Novice

Hi there!

I need to plan a performance test for 2 systems connected one way via MQ Channel and 2 Q Managers like this:

External system A | Q Manager 1 -----> MQ Channel -----> Q Manager 2 | System B

I need to make sure that message delivery time is very small. It means that once system A produces a message it will be available in system B really fast.

How can I do this?

If I use JMeter or similar tool it will show me only response time for system A. But it doesn't measure time from the moment when message is put by external system A till the moment appears in System B

Thank you!
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Poobah

walterA wrote:
I need to make sure that message delivery time is very small. It means that once system A produces a message it will be available in system B really fast.

Really fast? You will need to quantify "really fast." No measurement tool that I'm aware of reports with abstract terms like really slow, slow, fast, really fast, amazingly fast.

You can use the supplied dspmqrte utility to gather route and time data for a test message.
walterA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Novice

bruce2359 wrote:
walterA wrote:

Really fast? You will need to quantify "really fast." No measurement tool that I'm aware of reports with abstract terms like really slow, slow, fast, really fast, amazingly fast.

You can use the supplied dspmqrte utility to gather route and time data for a test message.

Thank you for you answer! I will google dspmqrte

Does it show time that it takes to deliver message from System A to system B through the channel? Will I be able to do this with the load or only with 1 test message?

I want to make sure that once we put a real load, the delivery time will not get worse because of the network, MQ setup or CPU/memory or something else.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You can look at the IBM support pack for performance.
However you're probably not running the same hardware/software/ load consideration so YMMV Your Milage May Vary.

The best way to get a good feel for this is to test it out in an environment as close as possible to production.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Poobah

walterA wrote:

Does it show time that it takes to deliver message from System A to system B through the channel?

Yes.

walterA wrote:
Will I be able to do this with the load or only with 1 test message?

There are workload simulators you might want to investigate.

Lacking other performance monitoring tools, I've seen the dspmqrte run once per second under various application load conditions. Not much overhead for this. If you have no other tools, this might help.

walterA wrote:
I want to make sure that once we put a real load, the delivery time will not get worse because of the network, MQ setup or CPU/memory or something else.

See above.

Effective performance analysis and tuning require you to understand your workload and available physical resources to process the workload. The Quick Beginnings manual for your platform will offer initial (minimum) MQ configuration settings.

There are MQ performance tuning documents - search here or google.
walterA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Novice

Thank you very much for you explanation!

I have got an idea! What if I add timestamp into the message header when a message is put into the remote Q of system A and then when I consume the message in the system B, compare it with the delivery time.

Is this a good idea?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

walterA wrote:

I have got an idea! What if I add timestamp into the message header when a message is put into the remote Q of system A and then when I consume the message in the system B, compare it with the delivery time.

Is this a good idea?

It might be a fantastic idea or a very bad one... All depends on how synchronized the time between the 2 hosts is
walterA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Novice

fjb_saper wrote:
walterA wrote:

Is this a good idea?

It might be a fantastic idea or a very bad one... All depends on how synchronized the time between the 2 hosts is

Hmm... but it's doable if the time is in sync?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Poobah

walterA wrote:
What if I add timestamp into the message header when a message is put into the remote Q ...?

GMT date and time of creation are automatically inserted into the MQMD when the message is MQPUT.

A message that is destined to be transmitted down the network to a remote qmgr is first put to a transmission queue on the producer qmgr. It is the IBM-supplied Message Channel Agent that MQPUTs the message on the destination queue at the remote qmgr - not the producing application.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How to load test delivery time? Reply with quote

Jedi

bruce2359 wrote:
walterA wrote:
What if I add timestamp into the message header when a message is put into the remote Q ...?

GMT date and time of creation are automatically inserted into the MQMD when the message is MQPUT.

A message that is destined to be transmitted down the network to a remote qmgr is first put to a transmission queue on the producer qmgr. It is the IBM-supplied Message Channel Agent that MQPUTs the message on the destination queue at the remote qmgr - not the producing application.

The MQMD PutTime only has 1/100 second resolution. MQ can process dozens of messages in that time, so its not very useful for high performance measurements. Been there, done that.

In an end-to-end design the largest latency is usually in the backend applications and DBs. You might benchmark MQ and network latency at 1000 msgs/sec, but the backend might only be capable of processing 100 msgs/sec.

Run a POC test to push an increasing load of typical messages through your MQ infrastructure and measure the overall processing time. eg. 10K msgs, 100K, 1M. Hook up stub consumers and measure their throughput.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

And don't forget to add varying time at varying levels to try and determine peaks due to stop the world garbage collection (java, .net)

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » How to load test delivery time?
Jump to: