ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » dspmqfls examples

dspmqfls examples « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
francoisvdm
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: dspmqfls examples Reply with quote

Partisan

The documentation states the following: Object names are not necessarily valid file system names. You might need to transform your object names. The method used is different from that for queue manager names because, although there are only a few queue manager names on each machine, there can be a large number of other objects for each queue manager. Queues, process definitions, namelists, channels, client connection channels, listeners, services, and authentication information objects are represented in the file system.

When a new name is generated by the transformation process, there is no simple relationship with the original object name. You can use the dspmqfls command to convert between real and transformed object names.

Here is my question. Can anybody give me an example where there is NO simple relationship between the MQ object name and the name as it is on the file system in windows?

The only funny that I do see (maybe this is a bug in dspmqfls) is that the last two characters of the queue name does not show in the translated name outputs from dspmqfls.

Thanks

Francois van der Merwe
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: dspmqfls examples Reply with quote

Poobah

francoisvdm wrote:
The documentation states the following: Object names are not necessarily valid file system names. You might need to transform your object names.

No, you don't need to transform object names, WMQ does this for you, as needed.

Why? WMQ things live in Windows/UNIX filesystems, where certain characters that are valid for wmq (like dot and slash) would confuse Windows/UNIX. WMQ transforms SATURN.QUEUE.MANAGER to SATURN!QUEUE!MANAGER, for example. You need do nothing.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

MQ allows queue names to have characters that are not legal as part of file system file names. These characters are modified as needed, based on the platform the queue manager is running on.

In general, if you are looking at the queue storage directly on the file system, you should be following instructions from IBM Support through a PMR process. Or working on a queue manager that you're happy to have to delete and recreate from scratch.

You should be able to find out everything you need to find out about a queue without looking at the queue files.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

another reason to use dspmqfls is that upto 7.1 in general per Queue there was a directory under queues with the 'queue' name mangled and then a file called Q in it... from 7.5 in the queue directory contains the queue files with name 'queue' mangled

MQSystems Facebook page
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Michael Dag wrote:
another reason to use dspmqfls is that ...

Other than curiosity, why would someone need to use dspmqfls?
brianb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

dspmqfls (display files)

Purpose

Use the dspmqfls command to display the real file system name for all WebSphere® MQ objects that match a specified criterion. You can use this command to identify the files associated with a particular object. This is useful for backing up specific objects. See Understanding WebSphere MQ file names for information about name transformation.
francoisvdm
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Thanks for the replies, but I think you guys miss the question. I'm well aware of its usage etc. The funny thing to me is that it states the documentation that it will translate queue manager names and other MQ object names differently. But, when I look at other object names I see it follows exactly the same name translation rules as for queue managers, ie, all "." is translated to a "!" and all "/" is translated to a &.

Now I do not really see that as "mangling" the name. Anybody have an example for me where it actually translate the name to something else, not just straight replacement of some "non file name characters" to something else? I would like to see where it uses some other translation instead of just the same rules as stated for queue manager names. From the documentation it is clear that they can be handled differently.

And yes, I know, no difference for me on how to work with MQ.... just one of those quirky things about MQ that I bumped into.

Francois van der Merwe
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I'm sure they wouldn't have gone out of their way to make the code that does this name-manipulation overly complicated.

But I suspect that the results do change somewhat based on the codepage of the OS in question... (I'd be a bit surprised if a kanji system had the same actual characters output )and I'm sure that zOS is *entirely* different than distributed.

It's also likely that the documentation is not specific about how the names are changed in order to allow the development team to change the code without having to get approvals for changing public interfaces.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vendor documentation usually describes how something works, and not exactly and precisely how something works.

Exactly and precisely how something works is most often proprietary, the result of much effort and cost, licensed, and subject to change without notice to the end-user.

The folks at the WMQ factory understand that object names you select from the allowed characters might conflict with file- or filesystem names. Dot and slash, come quickly to mind. In z/OS WMQ, the underscore character cannot be the leading (first) character in an object name due to conflicts with z/OS system commands.

In theory, a single dot could be an object name. In theory, 48 dots could also be an object name. Or dot slash dot. Or slash slash slash...

dspmqfls will tell you what transformation have taken place for your object names. IBM offers you the PMR process if an object name you choose results in a system failure of some kind.
Tibor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

bruce2359 wrote:
Other than curiosity, why would someone need to use dspmqfls?

You are right, it is not so interesting on Windows / Unix platform, but have you ever seen the queue file names on Tandem?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Tibor wrote:
... have you ever seen the queue file names on Tandem?

Nope. Can you share some examples, please? Afterwords, I will add Tamdem to my resume.
markt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

And imagine how it looked when MQ ran on filesystems which only supported 8.3 names.
Tibor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

bruce2359 wrote:
Nope. Can you share some examples, please? Afterwords, I will add Tamdem to my resume.

Just for you:
Code:
> dspmqfls -m OSSP -t queue SYSTEM.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE
WebSphere MQ Display MQ Files

QLOCAL    SYSTEM.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE
    $DSMSCM.OSSP.QS7J4PH1
    $DSMSCM.OSSP.OS7J4PH1
    $DSMSCM.OSSP.TS7J4PH1

Queue/Status Server              :  DEFAULTQS
    Queue Server Options             :  C
    Message overflow threshold       :  200000 bytes

Now you can easily become a HP NonStop expert...
francoisvdm
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Thanks Tibor! The kind of output I'm looking for. Do you mind if I use your output in a presentation?

Francois van der Merwe
Tibor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Of course, yes. I don't think so it would be highly confidential, how the DLQ is stored in our Tandem.

And if you need more output examples, I can recommend you the admin guide: amqpag01.pdf

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » dspmqfls examples
Jump to: