ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Monitoring Channels

Monitoring Channels « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
CVG
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Monitoring Channels Reply with quote

Novice

How do you use PCF commands to monitor channel status. I need to monitor Server conn channels to see if there are in a running, retry,binding,and stop state. Thanks!
dman_93
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you are going to roll your own code then you will need to crack open the Programmable System Management manual. There are some sample programs available. If you want to have something quick, realiable and inexpensive (free) then you should take a look at support pac MO71.
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/integration/support/supportpacs/individual/mo71.html
I use this support pac to for windows, solaris, OS/390.
CVG
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Monitoring Channels Reply with quote

Novice

I use the mo71 right now. But this is for our client so they can see the health of the channels and queue depth. I want to limit what they can see and do. Too much information can be dangerous in the wrong hands. So you are right. I need to open the Programmable Systems Management book and get cracking. The client wants me to use a VB or C# solution. Has anyone built a monitoring tool in C# ? Thanks!
Reconda
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

CVG,

QN-AppWatch will provide exactly what you need. We provide a secure environment that can limit users on their access into the MQ environment. The administrator would dictate how much authority a certain user had in terms of what they could see and what tasks they could perform. Our granularity goes down to the message level. Best of all our solution is web based so it is a single install on either UNIX or Windows and we require NO agents to be installed on servers or desktops. We can access any platform supported by MQ.

Fore more info you can respond to us here on MQSeries.Net, visit our website at www.reconda.com or send an email to info@reconda.com.
dman_93
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Monitoring Channels Reply with quote

I have MO71 set up for limited viewing for all the developers and basically anyone that has a need. I have MO71 set up on a shared server using the MQMON.aut file which I have set up just for view/display only. I have all the files set up on a shared directory that is locked down so only an Administrator can access to change. I then created a small batch file to be executed on the client desktop. This has been working great now for a year. This is described in the MO71 documentation that Paul supplied.
HTH.
Cheers
Reconda
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

That is certainly a viable option. But we have no client software, nothing for a user's desktop, no need to lock down or create any 'shared' directory structure and no need to use any remote emulation connection (terminal server) to get to our software or the MQ system.

When dealing with a large number of developers who need access to certain projects and Queue Managers and then to update those privileges based on new projects or a change in the lifecycle of the project can be time consuming. QN-AppWatch provides a very intuitive way through a couple of clicks to provide such a secure sandbox.

It really depends if you are looking for a 3rd party supported solution or if you want to roll your own.
dman_93
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Monitoring Channels Reply with quote

All excellent points... But how does your product fit into a $0.00 budget plan? MO71 fits just fine. Thanks for your response.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Quote:
$0.00 budget plan

How much time did it take you to install and configure MO71? How much time does it take you to manipulate the MQMON.AUT file when requirements change?

How much is your time worth per hour? If you are an MQ Administrator, I hope it is not cheap!

Did MO71 really cost you $0.00?

Not that I'm advocating QN-AppWatch in any way. I know nothing about the product.

I'm just saying that nothing has a cost of $0.00.
JohnMN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

But those same activities (plus a few others) will be involved in installing, configuring and evaluating a commercial software product. So, that part of it is pretty much a wash.

Then you have to add the time spent dealing with the sales rep, and the time it takes you to convince your boss to sign the check, and the upfront time evaluating all of the products to decide which one you would like to trial in the first place.

John
Reconda
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

John,

That is such a bleak opinion of 3rd party solutions and sales reps. Ouch.

Yes, with all solutions there is time spent for set up/configuration. Since we are the vendor this does not mean much but our solution is quite easy to configure and set up based on our architecture.

The real value with such a tool is after it is in place you are more capable in a proactive fashion to deal with change, growth and demands in your environment. It assists with the creation of standards and policies. Also that person can now allocate their time to other more strategic initiatives rather than maintaining a homegrown solution. Also what happens if the creator of such a solution leaves the organization?

Just my 2 cents….all be it from a vendor perspective.
JohnMN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I didn't mean it to sound bleak. It's just that I have never seen an Enterprise-strength Software product that is completely "plug and play". I was merely trying to show that the issues of installation and configuration will exist no matter which solution is selected.

I worked for SW vendors for 20 years, so I do know both sides of the story. (7 years with "third party" vendors, and 13 years with that big vendor with three letters.) I have heard what some of our sales reps have told customers.

The original poster is trying to solve one immediate problem (namely monitoring channels) under the constraint that no "real money" will be spent. At this point, a full-feature product is much more than they need, and will definitely cost more than they are willing to pay.

John
CVG
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Channel monitoring tools Reply with quote

Novice

Here is the rub in this situation. Our client is not using MQSeries client to connect to our MQ Server. They are using an home grown product that acts as an MQ client. They want a tool to see the status of the servercon channels and queue debts. Creating a vb or C# app using PCF's may be my only choice. They will not use the MQ Client on their systems. I believe I will have to install at a minimum the MQM.dll or the mqisc32.dll.
swiming
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: How can I get the QN statwatch? Reply with quote

Reconda,

I think QN statwatch can meet my customer's requirment. So I want to get evaluation copy of QN statwatch. I have tried to submit my requist on youe website, but haven't get any response.

Can you sned me a copy?

Thanks.
henry
shi_weimin@sina.com
Reconda
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Henry,

Someone will contact you directly and set you up with an evaluation version.

Warm Regards,
Reconda

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Monitoring Channels
Jump to: