ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Is there any support pack to measure MQ Logging on z/OS

Is there any support pack to measure MQ Logging on z/OS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
itsmaveric
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Is there any support pack to measure MQ Logging on z/OS Reply with quote

Novice

Hello All ,

We are trying to measure Active log capacity of MQ Qmgr on zOS .
Is there any support pack which can produce a hourly report for MQ Active logging .

The possible way I can think of :
1> A rexx code to gather CSQ msg from Syslog for each Qmgr in hourly basis
2> OMEGAMON situation to monitor how many Archive Log command issued by the Qmgr in a particular hour ( I am not sure if omegamon can handle logging as its event based and can only capture things using commands )

Please let me know if any support pack or any sample rexx code already in ploace to perform this task .

Thanks And Regards ,
Max
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Have you tried to use Google?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27025138
itsmaveric
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Is there any support pack to measure MQ Logging on z/OS Reply with quote

Novice

Sirlancelotlinc thnx for the reply .

I do have the support pack by Collin Paice . This is a very handy support pack and can be used for :

1>The size of the log dataset. Logs should be 4GB in size.
2>The logs are striped. You get better performance using striped datasets.
3>The SMS attributes, storage class, management class and data class.
4>The volumes the data sets are on, to check the datasets are spread across volumes

We are actually trying to monitor how many times a qmgr issues Archive Log command in a hour or how many active log copies get full in a hour . Basically we are trying to acheive a 6 Hours of active log capacity just incase qmgr wont able to archive the full active log copies . And thats the reason we are not trying to study the hourly report of the active log capacity of the qmgr .

Thanks N Regards .
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Mainframe forum.
Vitor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any support pack to measure MQ Logging on z/OS Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

itsmaveric wrote:
We are actually trying to monitor how many times a qmgr issues Archive Log command in a hour or how many active log copies get full in a hour . Basically we are trying to acheive a 6 Hours of active log capacity just incase qmgr wont able to archive the full active log copies . And thats the reason we are not trying to study the hourly report of the active log capacity of the qmgr .

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. 6 hours isn't much capacity (the InfoCenter recommends a day's capacity here and if you're so short of DASD you can only afford 6 hours of data then your capacity planning is way short. Certainly if you're churning multiple active logs an hour I'd challenge that "Logs should be 4GB" claim you made.

I'm also interested by "logs should be spread across volumes". Yes, but that should be controlled by whatever combination of HSM/SMS you're using and presupposes you're not using RAID. Why check?

Also at what frequency do you issue an ARCHIVE LOG?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any support pack to measure MQ Logging on z/OS Reply with quote

Poobah

itsmaveric wrote:
...just in case qmgr wont able to archive the full active log copies.

I'm also not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve. Or what problem you are experiencing.

How many active logs do you have?

How many archive log commands do you see (in SYSLOG) in an average hour? One? Ten? 100? Does this vary wildly from hour to hour?

Do you archive to disk? Are you saying that you have no available DASD to archive no-longer-active logs?

Part of your calculation of log dataset size needs to contemplate is how long it takes to archive. Are you archiving to disk? Is your qmgr configured to automatically archive?

A common procedure is to have SMS rules that send newly created archive log datasets to MIGRAT immediately; then send these from MIGRAT to tape as time permits.

What version of WMQ? You might want to post your ZPARM configuration here.
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

I suggest not to put too much monitoring effort in this. Why not pick the most busy hour of your queuemanager and check the log manually for the active log switches within that hour? That should not be too hard to figure out from the log without any tools, as the archive logs have a sequence number at their end.

because you know the log size / number of active logs you have at the moment you can easy multiply the used active logs or active log space with your requirement (e.g. by 6 if you need to cover 6 hours).

Then add some % as a reserve, and you got what you need.

Why the need for a tool?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Is there any support pack to measure MQ Logging on z/OS
Jump to: