ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » MQ SSL trace on AIX

MQ SSL trace on AIX « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
David.Partridge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: MQ SSL trace on AIX Reply with quote

Master

I used strmqtrc -m qmname -t ssl

This generated a file in /var/mqm/trace called AMQ.SSL.TRC, but it's in a binary format - how do I format it for reading it? dspmqtrc doesn't appear to understand this gskit created trace.

PS Yes, I know the docs say you can't format these, but I'm ever hopeful that there's an undocumented command to do it ...
jeevan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: MQ SSL trace on AIX Reply with quote

Grand Master

David.Partridge wrote:
I used strmqtrc -m qmname -t ssl

This generated a file in /var/mqm/trace called AMQ.SSL.TRC, but it's in a binary format - how do I format it for reading it? dspmqtrc doesn't appear to understand this gskit created trace.

PS Yes, I know the docs say you can't format these, but I'm ever hopeful that there's an undocumented command to do it ...

Follow the instructions listed below to start, stop and format WebSphere MQ for AIX trace. Trace files are written to the directory /var/mqm/trace, so delete or relocate old trace files before beginning a new trace.

Start trace for every WebSphere MQ process:
strmqtrc -e

Or start trace only for one queue manager:

strmqtrc -m MY.QMGR

Or start a high detail trace for one queue manager:

strmqtrc -t all -t detail -m MY.QMGR

Or start a high detail wrapping trace and limit the file size to ~5MB:

strmqtrc -l 5 -t all -t detail -m MY.QMGR

End all tracing:
endmqtrc -a

Format the trace files:
dspmqtrc *.TRC

Or format wrapping trace files:

dspmqtrc *.TRC *.TRS

The trace formatter program converts binary files named AMQppppp.TRC (where ppppp is the process identifier or pid which created the file) into readable files named AMQppppp.FMT.

Hope this helps
ranganathan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

@Jeevan..
I guess David is talking about SSL trace here ... and as he indicated we cant format them and see... is there any other command to do so ?! That's the concern here if im not wrong.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You're asking about iKeyman traces? If so:
The runtime SSL trace files have the names AMQ.SSL.TRC and AMQ.SSL.TRC.1. You cannot format any of the SSL trace files; send them unchanged to IBM® support.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.amqzag.doc/fa15390_.htm
David.Partridge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Yes, it is indeed the AMQ.SSL.TRC and AMQ.SSL.TRC.1 files I was bitching about not being able to format.

I do know about the statement in the docs that says "just send these unchanged to IBM". As it happens I managed to get enough out of viewing the trace using "more" to determine what was going wrong during the SSL handshake. But it was hard to get out what I wanted ...

I cannot for the life of me see why we should be denied the ability to format these into human readable form - they contain enormously valuable information for diagnosing SSL handshake problems.

Grrrr
Tibor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

David - SSL tracing is a #&@!, you are right! But where is your problem: on the client side or on the server side? When I have already had a client side SSL glitch, I switched on the SSL trace on a Java client, because MQ classes uses the Java SSL implementation.

HTH,
Tibor
David.Partridge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I already had the Java SSL diagnostics from the client, and all that was telling me was that the server had rejected the connection, hence the need to get an SSL trace on the server side.

Once I'd done that I was *extremely* miffed to find the server side SSL trace was in a yucky binary format and that there wasn't any tool for formatting it documented (and maybe not even shipped).

As I said I did manage to get enough information out of the file to solve the problem but it should not have been as hard as it was. If the tools to format the SSL trace had been available, it would have taken me about two minutes to crack the problem, as compared to twenty minutes or so because the darn file was so hard to read.

C'mon IBM do the decent thing and give us the tools for formatting these traces.
crossland
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

David.Partridge wrote:
I already had the Java SSL diagnostics from the client, and all that was telling me was that the server had rejected the connection, hence the need to get an SSL trace on the server side.

Once I'd done that I was *extremely* miffed to find the server side SSL trace was in a yucky binary format and that there wasn't any tool for formatting it documented (and maybe not even shipped).

As I said I did manage to get enough information out of the file to solve the problem but it should not have been as hard as it was. If the tools to format the SSL trace had been available, it would have taken me about two minutes to crack the problem, as compared to twenty minutes or so because the darn file was so hard to read.

C'mon IBM do the decent thing and give us the tools for formatting these traces.

Maybe it is wishful thinking, but has there been any progress on this?

Like yourself, I am in a similar position where there is plenty of information available on the client side and only a meaningless trace available on the server side.
JasonE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

No - these traces are not generated by MQ, more a component they embed (GSKit) and the formatter for those traces is not publicly available. I know it doesnt help, but its even restricted within IBM so the chances of getting it as part of the product is pretty much zero.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

My motto on those is test:
  • SSL does not work but without SSL no problem
  • Test without any peer values, make sure cipherspec and ciphersuite + sslfips match
  • Test with SSL peer and no OU values. Make sure to only ask for the other side's cert values
  • Add first OU value (if multiple) if fail add OU values in reverse order
  • repeat OU value test for the other end of the channel. Remember to only ask for the OU values of the cert on the other end of the channel.

have fun

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » MQ SSL trace on AIX
Jump to: