ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Tracking messages through MQSeries

Tracking messages through MQSeries « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mdehart
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Tracking messages through MQSeries Reply with quote

I'm looking for a 3rd party tool to track messages through MQSeries. To be more specific I'm looking for something that will track transactions from SAP, thru Mercator, into MQSeries and finally into an application. I know of a product from Bristol Technologies called Transaction Vision but does anyone know of any other products? Our bottom line is we don't want people saying "I didn't get my message from MQSeries".
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Tools that track messages may help determine the cause of problems but if your MQ programs are written to use transactional units of work and use persistent messages, then it is unlikely that any loss will occur.

The main cause of message loss is not the MQ infrastructure but application programs that don't use syncpointing correctly.

However apart from Transaction Vision - I think there is another product recently produced but I can't remember who makes it.

You could use the MQ 5.3 API crossing exit to implement your own solution.
Reconda
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Our QN-StatWatch product may be able to assist you. For more information please visit our website at www.reconda.com

QN-StatWatch is the industry's first browser-based WebSphere MQ and WMQI support solution that provides you with a centralized approach to easily obtain the statistics you need to optimize, audit, and chargeback for MQ usage. It combines a common architecture with customization capabilities and a state-of-the-art reporting facility to provide administrators, system architects, and MQ managers with a total MQ reporting solution that reduces costs significantly while providing extremely granular information regarding queue, queue manager, and channel data with rock-solid security.

With QN-StatWatch, you can now detail channel usage of your MQ environment, enterprise-wide; define and archive MQ messages; and provide information to upper management that allows them to reduce costs and improve efficiency. Additionally, the product's standard browser interface allows you to build, control, and maintain your MQ statistics gathering requirements from one central location, making it easy to deploy.

QN-StatWatch Benefits

- Provides details of MQ usage for chargeback to business units
- Delivers reports that allow organizations to meet service level agreements
- Provides audit message functionality with "allow", "prevent" and "monitor" of client, sender, and receiver channel connections
- Allows the analysis and maintenance of MQ statistics from one centralized product
- Provides the ability to run SQL commands against data
- Allows planning for future capacity needs, optimized tuning and performance
- Reduces administration costs by allowing for chargeback and providing significant increases in efficiency
Matt Prawicka
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Tool Reply with quote

Are you still looking for a tool to monitor this? I am an employee of contact admin and would be happy to discuss any questions with you
Troilus
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Me too, me too
We have a tool that tracks a message by analyzing MQ recovery logs. As long as the message is persistent, every PUT and GET anywhere by any application (including channels) leaves a footprint in the log. This information is consolidated in the "message propagation report".
sgarforth
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at contact admin's Transaction Monitor
http://www.contact admin.com/products/ap_wstr.html
It also covers SAP and Mercator.

Sam Garforth
contact admin EMEA Manager.
booradley
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is might be a little late, but might be useful other people.
Sybase has a product called BizTracker. It allows you to track transactions from start to finish.

Here is the link.
http://www.sybase.com/products/businessprocessintegration/biztracker

(Note: I work for Sybase on the ProServ side)
amaverick
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: MQ Message Reports Reply with quote

This is might be a little late, but might be useful other people.

Cressida has a product called ReQuest. It allows you to totally track transactions from start to finish.

Here is the link.
http://www.cressida.info/products_am_mqla.shtml
mqonnet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Whoa!!!! Same reply to so many new/old posts. Hmm... Spamming... LOL... Just kidding..

If you believe that this tool would help other MQ'ers, then please make a new post in either Links or may be Tips and Tricks or whatever topic you think is appropriate rather than just posting it all over the place with the same content.

Cheers
Kumar
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

A little overkill, especially when of the six posts I already posted the same information in the same thread... Spreading information without reading what's been said already???

Michael
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

MichaelDag wrote:
A little overkill, especially when of the six posts I already posted the same information in the same thread... Spreading information without reading what's been said already???

Yeah, it sounds like you've actually used this Cressida product.

After all this spamming, I'm really inclined never to use it or look at it, or recommend anyone buy anything from them.

But, again, you've used this product? Is it any good? Is it worth looking at, despite the spamming?
amaverick
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: MQ Message Reports Reply with quote

If this looked like SPAM, then I'm sorry, but this tool is so unique it word has go around. Neat, Yeah - its really neat.

Only gotcha is it can only report on Persistant messages, gathered from your recovery logs (dont matter how man/old you have) and unfortuntely it currently not support Z/OS, but I understand that is in their long-term plan, probably a joint venture, with an existing customer(s).

They have this Recovery feature, that is good, but in reality we may never get to use (too may if and but's in our setup) but to know when we was a good time to consider Recovery between MQ and the Database is good enough.

As to the Reporting tool/feture and ReQuests' ability to play/replay previous MQ Messages from the your recovery logs, even just to see what went wrong - yesterday - when we had that glitch, it is really powerful.
This feature also allows you to model (replay) messages from previous timeframes, into new/same (if you really wanted to?) Queues, like for when you are testing new Applications.

But we reckon most usage will come from the Reporter.

Platforms they have are Windows, Solaris, AIX, and of course Mainframe, but like I said, we can live wthout that for now! But not too long, hey Cressida?
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

JeffLowrey wrote:

Yeah, it sounds like you've actually used this Cressida product.

I was allowed to play with it for a while, still have some samples of capabilities but no running code...
JeffLowrey wrote:

After all this spamming, I'm really inclined never to use it or look at it, or recommend anyone buy anything from them.

If it is good and suits your needs, use it.
If you don't like the alleged spam, spank the spammer
not the product...
JeffLowrey wrote:

But, again, you've used this product? Is it any good? Is it worth looking at, despite the spamming?

Yep, I have used the product and it looks and feels very good, it is especally good at showing the hidden stuff underneath (normally only visible to IBM 3rd line support or so...), but you can answer simple questions with complicated answers, like what happened the last 30 minutes to my Queuemanager.

Again I have NO ties to Cressida, I have posted about their products only where appropriate, just like any other plug for a tool I used.

This bombardment by amaverick was a bit too much for me too...

Michael
sgarforth
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Tracking messages through MQSeries Reply with quote

My previous posting is now out of date. The contact admin Transaction monitor has now moved to
http://www.contact admin.com/products/it_plugins/wtm.shtml

Regards,

Sam

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Tracking messages through MQSeries
Jump to: