ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Encoding for Z/OS

Encoding for Z/OS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tatyeong
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Encoding for Z/OS Reply with quote

Acolyte

I am using MQFTE to transfer file from AIX to Z/OS. Is there any encoding conversion that I need to explicitly specify in the file transfer request?

In AIX the encoding is UTF-8. If I don't specify the destination encoding for Z/OS in the tranfer request, the transferred file becomes unreadable
mphillip
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

When performing 'text' type transfers, FTE will, by default, convert files from the source codepage to the default codepage of the target system. In this case I'm guessing the files are being converted into EBCDIC of some sort.

If you are wanting to transfer files containing textual data exactly 'as is' to your zOS system, I'd suggest transferring them as binary rather than text, as no conversion will take place with a binary transfer (similar to FTP text and binary transfers).

Another more complex option is to specify in the command message that submits the transfer what destination codepage you want the file converted into. This is quite advanced, and you must craft your own XML command message to be able to enter these properties.
See the following infocenter page for details. For each <file> entry specify the appropriate encoding you want at the destination.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wmqfte.admin.doc/transfer_message_format.htm

Hope this helps.
tatyeong
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I am just doing a text transfer. After removing any explicit encoding format at destination (Z/OS), I managed to get it working.

One more thing, I am also trying to set the file properties in Z/OS, by specifying the destination files as follow:
//'AFTETST.TRANSFER.ABC.CRMTOABC.CUST';RECFM(FB);BLKSIZE(10701);LRECL(123);SPACE(35,5);RELEASE;CYL

However, the transferred file in Z/OS doesn't seem to pick up these properties, e.g. Record format, record length, block size etc
mphillip
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Can you please post some more details on how you are submitting these transfers? Is it through the command line (if so, what is the full command that you are using), is it Ant or an XML command message (please supply a sample)?

Seeing the full command you are using to submit these commands will help to understand what could be going wrong with the dataset parameters.
tatyeong
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi, the file transfer is triggered through a file monitor

fteCreateMonitor -ma AG1 -mm QM1 -mn abc_monitor -md /interfaces/outbound/abc -jn abc_job -mt abc.xml -tr match,abc.txt -pi 1 -pu minutes

The content of the XML as follow:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<request version="2.00" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="FileTransfer.xsd">
<managedTransfer>
<originator>
<hostName>host1</hostName>
<userID>wmqfte</userID>
</originator>
<sourceAgent agent="AG1" QMgr="QM1"/>
<destinationAgent agent="AG2" QMgr="QM2"/>
<transferSet>
<item checksumMethod="MD5" mode="text">
<source recursive="false" disposition="leave">
<file>${filepath}</file>
</source>
<destination type="dataset" exist="overwrite">
<file>//'AFTETST.TRANSFER.ABC.DEF.CUST';RECFM(FB);BLKSIZE(10701);LRECL(123);SPACE(35,5);RELEASE;CYL</file>
</destination>
</item>
</transferSet>
<job><name>abc_job</name></job>
</managedTransfer>
</request>
mphillip
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

After chatting to an expert... he says:

Combination of dataset attributes and overwrite is suspicious. Attributes will only be used if the dataset does not exist. If it's pre-allocated then we'll use the existing dataset (and overwrite the data). We will not delete and re-allocate.
tatyeong
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks! That's the reason.

After deleting the dataset, the new data is taking in the attributes
mphillip
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Fantastic! glad you're sorted out.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Encoding for Z/OS
Jump to: