ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Platform Support and File Publish

Platform Support and File Publish « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
elvis_gn
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Platform Support and File Publish Reply with quote

Padawan

Hi all,

Has anyone worked with MQFTE on legacy systems...they aren't supported, so I'm looking for experiences on workarounds.

Also, is it possible to do 1 file sender to many receivers kind of config ?

Regards.
markt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

define "legacy"
harish_td
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

We had a PoC that ran WMFTE on a OS/390 and it worked well.

The one-to-many file transfer is not supported out of the box and hence cannot be seen on the FT Explorer.
However we were told that "this functionality can be easily achieved with ANT scripts".

Our IBM rep gave us some ANT Samples but i seem to have mis-placed them
mphillip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

There is an Ant Sample in the FTE installation that shows how you might do hub/spoke transfers

<installation directory>\samples\fteant\hub

Admittedly the sample shows transferring files from 2 spokes up to the hub (and then kick off some batch processing if both transfers are successful), but you should be able to see how to script multiple transfers in a single ant script from it.
elvis_gn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

Hi all,

Sorry, for the delay in responding, completely forgot about this thread

markt wrote:
define "legacy"
I just meant any OS/hardware apart from the 6-7 listed. For example what about Tandem...

harish_td wrote:
We had a PoC that ran WMFTE on a OS/390 and it worked well.
Oh! how did you get the FTE agent to work on it ? Which client agent did you use ?

mphillip wrote:
There is an Ant Sample in the FTE installation that shows how you might do hub/spoke transfers

<installation directory>\samples\fteant\hub

Admittedly the sample shows transferring files from 2 spokes up to the hub (and then kick off some batch processing if both transfers are successful), but you should be able to see how to script multiple transfers in a single ant script from it.
I could obviously do anything with ANT, but that really wouldn't be using the inbuilt capabilities of MQ.

Also, while polling, is it possible to do delta (only modified files) transfers ?
The closest I got is using Monitors and setting file pattern as *. So any file can cause a trigger, and then I do a folder to folder replication.
But this is causing all files in the folder to be replicated. I only want the particular changed file to be moved. Even the monitor exits are not of use as return values are only Yes/No and log.
And of course, I don't want to be making configurations for all the files in the folder, especially when I don't know what file names are coming in.

Regards.
elvis_gn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

elvis_gn wrote:
Also, while polling, is it possible to do delta (only modified files) transfers ?
The closest I got is using Monitors and setting file pattern as *. So any file can cause a trigger, and then I do a folder to folder replication.
But this is causing all files in the folder to be replicated. I only want the particular changed file to be moved. Even the monitor exits are not of use as return values are only Yes/No and log.
And of course, I don't want to be making configurations for all the files in the folder, especially when I don't know what file names are coming in.
I knew I was close Its possible to invoke custom schemas on meeting trigger criteria it seems...haven't tried it, but theory (infocenter) says it'll work

Regards.
mphillip
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

elvis_gn wrote:

But this is causing all files in the folder to be replicated. I only want the particular changed file to be moved.
Regards.

I think there is a fairly simple way to do this using substitution variables, though esplaining it involves understanding a bit about how FTE Monitors work.

When you create a Monitor there are 2 seperate file specifications that are defined. The files to watch for, and the files to transfer.

When a monitor 'triggers' on a matching file, it triggers once for each file that matches, so if you monitor for * and 5 files have changed, the monitor will trigger 5 transfers.

Many people make the mistake of monitoring for * and transfering * - for the above case it will transfer * 5 times, which really isn't what you want.

In the transfer specification (the files to transfer), use the substitution variable ${FilePath} as the file to transfer. When the monitor triggers on new or modified files, for each new or modified file it will create a transfer request using the name of the file that triggered the monitor, transfering just the new/modified file and leaving the other ones alone.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.wmqfte.admin.doc/resource_monitoring.htm

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.wmqfte.admin.doc/variable_substitution.htm
elvis_gn
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

Hi mphillip,
mphillip wrote:
elvis_gn wrote:

But this is causing all files in the folder to be replicated. I only want the particular changed file to be moved.
Regards.

I think there is a fairly simple way to do this using substitution variables, though esplaining it involves understanding a bit about how FTE Monitors work.

When you create a Monitor there are 2 seperate file specifications that are defined. The files to watch for, and the files to transfer.

When a monitor 'triggers' on a matching file, it triggers once for each file that matches, so if you monitor for * and 5 files have changed, the monitor will trigger 5 transfers.

Many people make the mistake of monitoring for * and transfering * - for the above case it will transfer * 5 times, which really isn't what you want.

In the transfer specification (the files to transfer), use the substitution variable ${FilePath} as the file to transfer. When the monitor triggers on new or modified files, for each new or modified file it will create a transfer request using the name of the file that triggered the monitor, transfering just the new/modified file and leaving the other ones alone.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.wmqfte.admin.doc/resource_monitoring.htm

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.wmqfte.admin.doc/variable_substitution.htm
And this is what I assumed from the documentation...what really took me home was the related link with the commands
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wmqfte.admin.doc/configuring_monitor_tasks.htm

Regards.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » Platform Support and File Publish
Jump to: