ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Monitor Messages Flowing Through SVRCONN

Monitor Messages Flowing Through SVRCONN « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
AkankshA
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Monitor Messages Flowing Through SVRCONN Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

I have my application deployed on W application server and connecting to MQ MQ through client connection.

Both MQ and application reside on same machine....

I intend to capture each and every message flow flowing from application to MQ.. along with time stamp (which ll eventually be available with MQMD) and payload....

Possible way to get that is using MQ channel exit.... i intend to use receive exit for the same...

I though about using every trigger to start a process which ll capture the timestamps only, but i cant since the messages come to an ALias queue which in turn gets load balanced in cluster... hence triggering is ruled out

gimme ideas wrt same...

is there any other way out....

also any sample code available for the exit ??
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Monitor Messages Flowing Through SVRCONN Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AkankshA wrote:
I intend to capture each and every message flow flowing from application to MQ.. along with time stamp (which ll eventually be available with MQMD) and payload....

Why? There's been enough debate in here about auditing messages in WMQ rather than in the end points. What's the requirement? Especially with client monitoring, and when the client is in such proximity.

The problem of exits (which I still hold to be tricky despite one noteable voice to the contrary) is compounded by use in a cluster.

AkankshA wrote:
is there any other way out....

Capture the information in the end point systems

AkankshA wrote:
also any sample code available for the exit ??

I'm sure a volunteer will be delighted to provide some momentarially.
AkankshA
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

well,

the strange requirement arose owing to the delay experienced in processing.

People are doubting that MQ routing in a cluster is taking time... I need to give them facts to convince that its application's problem and not MQ.... that its application which is not committing or rather putting messages at designated time with LOAD

so i have no way but to show them, at what time a particular message arrived in the queue....
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AkankshA wrote:
People are doubting that MQ routing in a cluster is taking time...

I see your problem.

AkankshA wrote:
so i have no way but to show them, at what time a particular message arrived in the queue....

An alternative (of debatable value I agree but an alternative) is to monitor the depth of the SCTQ. If the cluster is taking time to move messages round, you should see messages piling up there.
AkankshA
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Vitor wrote:

An alternative (of debatable value I agree but an alternative) is to monitor the depth of the SCTQ. If the cluster is taking time to move messages round, you should see messages piling up there.

I told/shown them that... but non MQ aware people find it difficult to believe that MQ can be so fast....

so i hv two options
1) MQ Receie exit for SVRCONN channel (nightmare to write and set up)
2) Trigger SCTQ for every type and qrite a shell script which will log the timestamp in a file (alas, I cant get the message here)

Which one do you suggest would be better for performance... obviouly they wont be kept on for forever...

its difficult to choose a viable option amongst the two wrong/difficult ones...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AkankshA wrote:
I told/shown them that... but non MQ aware people find it difficult to believe that MQ can be so fast....

There's never a trout to hand when you need one is there?

AkankshA wrote:
its difficult to choose a viable option amongst the two wrong/difficult ones...

I think you've put your finger on it when you said "viable". IMHO an exit is never the "right" answer, and taking my prejudice to one side, I think it will be more work to set up and test than is warrented by your requirement.

Have you considered using queue service interval events to prove things are moving? I accept that in this situation non-MQ people may not believe evidence produced by WMQ, but then will they believe a triggered process or an exit? At some point they must accept.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Taking a step back from the problem here, another possible tack is to use a lack of evidence. This "delay in processing" - how did the finger get pointed at WMQ? If it's just "well our application is perfect so it must be WMQ because it's always WMQ just like when our messages go missing" then push back and ask how they came to this conclusion.

If they have proof, e.g. the time stamp they committed the message v the time it was read off the destination queue, then possibly you could use trace messages or similar. At least you'll have something to work with.

If they just have a profound belief that it can't be their application code because it just can't be, ask for proof. Or for trout.

My 2 cents.
KeeferG
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I have to agree with Vitor. You need to push this back to the development team and make them provide the evidence.

Too many times I have been involved with development teams that assume their code is right and it is the product at fault. Just recently I have had to bring IBM in for performance discussions over a message latency issue that we had been having and that development had been pointing the finger at MQ.

Fortunately, a recent update to the development code removed 90% of the applicaiton latency which cleared MQ in the eyes of development.

I would advise running end to tests with traceroute to see what results that consistently gives. If that is greatly quicker then the speed they are experiencing then they need to revisit their code.
AkankshA
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

well, its a heterogeneous env.... and MQ is connecting them all...

the time gap between sending application and the receiving one is crossing the SLA.....

There's no exact way to know when the sending application put/committed the message to MQ... the problem increases manyfold, when we hv load...

may be, the application is not doing its job well, and hence message is not getting put... so we gotta capture the time stamp of each and every message coming to the designated queue and compare it with the receiving application timestamp...

as of now, i am thinking of putting every trigger on SCTQ, and if problem persists for longer then will implement channel exits..

Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AkankshA wrote:
may be, the application is not doing its job well, and hence message is not getting put... so we gotta capture the time stamp of each and every message coming to the designated queue and compare it with the receiving application timestamp...

Erm....if the message isn't being put, how will you capture the timestamp?

You'll also need to capture enough message data so that you can tie up business process within the applications (unless the 2 ends can be persuaded to report the MsgId of the messages involved), i.e. Order 1234 is put at Time X, is captured on the queue at Time X+1, is delivered to the target queue at Time X+5, and processed by the receiving app at Time X + 14 minutes....
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Really, I think trace messages are the answer here.

You can show them how long it takes MQ to move messages over their exact route, and then say "if your applicaiton takes 10% longer, it's your application's fault".
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

AkankshA wrote:
... the problem increases manyfold, when we hv load...

Is this a JMS app doing selective gets against queues with a depth > 0?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
AkankshA wrote:
... the problem increases manyfold, when we hv load...

Is this a JMS app doing selective gets against queues with a depth > 0?

Do you get backlog on the xmitq during high load?
The problem might be an application not processing fast enough...
This could potentially affect the whole cluster but will certainly affect all messages going to and possibly coming from that node.
The problem alluded to by Peter would then just compound...

Enjoy
AkankshA
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

mqjeff wrote:
Really, I think trace messages are the answer here.

You can show them how long it takes MQ to move messages over their exact route, and then say "if your applicaiton takes 10% longer, it's your application's fault".

I did thought about Tracing, but then the amount of logs which gets generated is huge and fetching required information again wont be easy.... considering the heavy load situation...
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AkankshA wrote:
I did thought about Tracing, but then the amount of logs which gets generated is huge and fetching required information again wont be easy.... considering the heavy load situation...

Not trace, but trace messages.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Monitor Messages Flowing Through SVRCONN
Jump to: