ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Process Server (WID/WPS/WAS+) » Business Process Choreographer (BPC) vs Generated Human task

Business Process Choreographer (BPC) vs Generated Human task « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tamu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Business Process Choreographer (BPC) vs Generated Human task Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone suggest why BPC should and should not be used in production environment.

Cheers,
ProcessCentric
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I have noticed it is somewhat error prone. (We are running 6.0.2.4). Somethimes after submitting a new process instance I get a JSP error and then find that 3 instances have been created instead of one. Its a rare error but it can have some interesting impacts if it was production. Also the UI is just not end user friendly. Its great for administration of process in production but just not very friendly for an end user, even with JSP customization. If you are looking for a more out of the box solution try business space in 6.1.2 and up. Otherwise just create your own UI and use the APIs to interact with WPS.
tamu
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I am more interested why BPC would not/could not be used in production environment because of security restrictions or other factors.
jmac
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

I will assume that you are talking about BPC Explorer here.

The issue I have with use of the tool for the average user is that it is too powerful. Unless you can highly customize it to remove some of its features, your end users will be able to do things that you may not want them to be doing. I agree with the previous statements that the tool is good for an Administrator.

The key thing is that BPC Explorer is in my opinion not what you want your end users to be using, and I do not believe that is the intent. You should be giving your end users a generated client that is built from WID.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tamu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer. Do we know whether BPC Explorer can be configured so that tasks visible to the users can be filtered on what tasks they can view and other security considerations. What could be the things available in the BPC explorer you may not want the end-users to be able to view but can be controllable if we use a client?
ProcessCentric
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

If the user is not a potential owner, adminstrator etc, on a task they will not be able to see it in the BPC explorer or elsewhere. You should utilize the staff verbs in WID to control the end result in the BPC explorer.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Process Server (WID/WPS/WAS+) » Business Process Choreographer (BPC) vs Generated Human task
Jump to: