ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Help please. WMB 6.1 FileOutput Node FTP (AIX to z/OS)

Help please. WMB 6.1 FileOutput Node FTP (AIX to z/OS) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Ceartas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Help please. WMB 6.1 FileOutput Node FTP (AIX to z/OS) Reply with quote

Novice

Good morning all.

Has anybody managed to successfully use FileOutput node to FTP a file from AIX to z/OS ? If so would you share experience.

Is my understanding correct that the flow will have to write the contents locally before the FTP takes place ?

Have a great day.

Windy
MQEnthu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I have used it and is working fine... though in a different platform...

Broker writes the file file in local directory \mqsitransit and once the writing is complete the file is moved to FTP server...

http://127.0.0.1:56425/help/topic/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ac55462_.htm
mqpaul
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help please. WMB 6.1 FileOutput Node FTP (AIX to z/OS) Reply with quote

Acolyte

Ceartas wrote:
Has anybody managed to successfully use FileOutput node to FTP a file from AIX to z/OS ? If so would you share experience.

Do you want to send to the native z/OS file system, or to a file in an HFS or ZFS file system under USS? For the former, you will need to use "//<hlq>/bar/..." as your file path (where <hlq> is the high level qualifier), and you will need to sort out your SAF (RACF or whatever) to have the necessary authority. If the latter it's all normal FTP.

Select the encoding and CCSID you want for the resulting file in the FileOutput node, and use binary transfer. In general, don't use ASCII transfer.
Quote:
Is my understanding correct that the flow will have to write the contents locally before the FTP takes place ?

Yes, and this means the directory on the FileOutput node's Basic property panel is the local directory, and the one on the FTP panel is the remote directory. The names need not be the same, or in the same place in the file system directory hierarchy.
Ceartas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks Paul and MQEnthu, I want to send to a native z/OS sequential (flat) file. So am happy with normal FTP. I did consider USS and getting BPXBATCH processs to read (for OPC scheduling purposes).

Do you actually have to specify /mqsitransit in the properties or will this directory be written to by default ?

Windy
MQEnthu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Ceartas wrote:
Do you actually have to specify /mqsitransit in the properties or will this directory be written to by default ?

No, you do not have to. mqsitransit will be created automaticaly under the directory structure you specify in the Basic\Directory properties field of the node.
chids
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help please. WMB 6.1 FileOutput Node FTP (AIX to z/OS) Reply with quote

Novice

mqpaul wrote:

For the former, you will need to use "//<hlq>/bar/..." as your file path (where <hlq> is the high level qualifier), and you will need to sort out your SAF (RACF or whatever) to have the necessary authority.

I've used it from WMB on Solaris SPARC to FTP files to a z/OS box. Works fine. The only thing that bit me was that I didn't realise how to specify the correct path for the z/OS native file system but when I was informed and did it accordance, as mqpaul describes above, it all went smoothly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ceartas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Just to confirm Reply with quote

Novice

For a z/OS sequential (flat file) called TEST.SEQUENTIAL.FILE you would specify this in WMB as :-

//TEST/SEQUENTIAL/FILE

The documentation is less than clear on this. Anybody fancy sending me screenshots of their Properties of a FileOutput node that is sending to z/OS?

That would be great.

Many thanks again

Windy

andrew.miller@aegon.co.uk
vmcgloin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Hi,

I work alongside Windy, and have been trying to get the same thing to work by trying all the combinations of syntax I can think of - unlike Windy I am not very comforatble with Z/OS so please excuse my ignorance.

I think the problem might be deciding what should go in 'directory' and what should go under 'filename'. Can you advise on that?

I have been trying to sort this for some days now and started by using what works for me from command line FTP from AIX to z/os for directory and filename respectively, then trying all sorts of different combinations...

Code:
ftp> cd 'TEST'
250 "TEST." is the working directory name prefix.
ftp> put STATUS 'TEST.PRINTJOB.VICKY'
200 Port request OK.
125 Storing data set TEST.PRINTJOB.VICKY
250 Transfer completed successfully.
9 bytes sent in 0.226 seconds (0.03888 Kbytes/s)
local: STATUS remote: 'TEST.PRINTJOB.VICKY'

To try to replicate this I am using the request properties and setting the values via ESQL (where the quotes are escaped with more quotes - so I have 3 single quotes either side):
SET OutputLocalEnvironment.Destination.File.Directory = '''TEST''';
SET OutputLocalEnvironment.Destination.File.Name = '''TEST.PRINTJOB.VICKY''';
The requirement is to be able to set these values depending on fields in an incoming message which is why I am using ESQL to configure it.

This leads to:
Mar 9 17:08:10 rs6dmq01 user:info WebSphere Broker v6103[1761360]: (DEV001X2.EG2)[6812]BIP3333E: The File node 'FileOutput - Status file - SUCCESS only' in message flow 'terminalONE_Job_Status_V001' cannot resolve the relative file path ''TEST''. : DEV001X2.dd9a07f0-0d01-0000-0080-b07e06d54375: ComIbmFileOutputNode.java: 540: locateOutputFile: :

The alternative using // also works in part from the command line - for the directory but I cannot yet find syntax that works for the filename:
Code:
ftp> cd //TEST
250 "TEST." is the working directory name prefix.
ftp> put STATUS '//TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY2'
200 Port request OK.
125 Storing data set //TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY2
550 Open of //TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY2 failed.
9 bytes sent in 0.02698 seconds (0.3258 Kbytes/s)
local: STATUS remote: '//TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY2'
ftp> put STATUS TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY
200 Port request OK.
501 Invalid data set name "TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY".  Use MVS Dsname conventions.

So trying this also fails:
SET OutputLocalEnvironment.Destination.File.Directory = '//TEST';
SET OutputLocalEnvironment.Destination.File.Name = 'TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY';

with this exception:
Mar 9 17:14:22 rs6dmq01 user:info WebSphere Broker v6103[1761360]: (DEV001X2.EG2)[6559]BIP3325E: File node 'FileOutput - Status file - SUCCESS only' in message flow 'terminalONE_Job_Status_V001' cannot use the directory '//TEST' for file name 'TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY'. : DEV001X2.dd9a07f0-0d01-0000-0080-b07e06d54375: ComIbmFileOutputNode.java: 546: locateOutputFile: :

Thank you for all your help on this. It is very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Vicky
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Set the file name to the full path, don't set the directory.

But it seems like you're not setting the right thing anyway - you need to set the FTP location not the local location.
mqpaul
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: You might need the file name to be just the last component Reply with quote

Acolyte

As I understand it, the z/OS FTP server transforms the client file name "//TEST/PRINTJOB/VICKY" to "TEST.PRINTJOB.VICKY" in the z/OS file system. The "//" prefix says "this is in the native z/OS file system, not the USS UNIX file system". Since the z/OS file system does not use directories, the directory names TEST and PRINTJOB get mapped to dataset name qualifiers.

I believe you should specify the FileOutput node's "Server directory" property as "//TEST/PRINTJOB" and "file name" as "VICKY". Note that you can't set the server directory using ESQL; the FileOutput node does not look at the message tree to decide the server directory name. (This is a known limitation that should not be there.) You can override the file name using, say, LocalEnvironment.Destination.File.Name, otherwise the node will take it from the File node's properties.

The FTP node will effectively issue FTP "cd //TEST/PRINTJOB" and then "put VICKY". If I understand correctly, the z/OS FTP server should use that to create the qualified file name "TEST.PRINTJOB.VICKY".

I'm not sure if Server directory "//TEST" and file name "PRINTJOB.VICKY" will work; the File node effectively would issue FTP "cd //TEST" and then "put PRINTJOB.VICKY".

What certainly won't work is Server directory "//TEST" and file name "PRINTJOB/VICKY", because you can't have the directory delimiter "/" in the file name.

Note that in any case, the FTP server needs to have SAF (RACF or whatever) authority to create files owned by "TEST".
vmcgloin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Thanks. I think we have it cracked now. I had not fully understood which properties applied to the local file and which applied to the remote file.

I also did not know about the limitation whereby the server directory cannot be set using ESQL. (I had originally intended to set a user defined property for the server directory and use it in the ESQL.) That leads me on to an aside...
The 'Server directory' is not a configurable property in the bar file. I can promote it to flow level but it still does not appear at bar file level. Should I be able to do this?

For completeness here are the tests that I used today.
Code:
Test    server directory            file name           esql          works?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1        //TEST/PRINTJOB            VICKY                             NO - BIP3380E (see below)
2        //TEST                     PRINTJOB.VICKY                    YES  :)
3        //TEST                                     'PRINTJOB.VICKY'  YES  :D (so I can make this dynamic)

Paul, From what you said I would expect 1 to work, but in my case it produced the following error. i do not mind this because I want the 'PRINTJOB' part of the structure to be configurable based on message content anyway, but I thought I should let you know.
Quote:
WebSphere Broker v6103[1761360]: (DEV001X2.EG2)[6821]BIP3380E: File node 'FileOutput - Status file - SUCCESS only' in message flow 'terminalONE_Job_Status_V001' could not connect to remote FTP server 'zostest'. Reason 'CWD //TEST/PRINTJOB=>501 A qualifier in "TEST/PRINTJOB" contains an invalid character.' : DEV001X2.dd9a07f0-0d01-0000-0080-b07e06d54375: ComIbmFileOutputNode.java: 435: transferToFtpServer: :

Thank you all for your help,
Vicky
mqpaul
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Quote:
The 'Server directory' is not a configurable property in the bar file. I can promote it to flow level but it still does not appear at bar file level. Should I be able to do this?
This is a known defect; the documentation says it should be configurable, but it isn't.
Quote:
From what you said I would expect 1 to work, but in my case it produced the following error. I do not mind this because I want the 'PRINTJOB' part of the structure to be configurable based on message content anyway, but I thought I should let you know.
Many thanks. The message is reporting an error from the FTP server, so I guess that means it should have used a dot rather than a slash:
Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1        //TEST.PRINTJOB            VICKY

vmcgloin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Thanks!

Code:
1        //TEST.PRINTJOB            VICKY                              [b]YES[/b]
vmcgloin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

As a follow on to this, would there be any benefit (to us or anyone else) in raising a PMR to cover the following known limitations/defects?
1. The 'Server directory' is not a configurable property in the bar file.
2. You can't set the server directory using ESQL

Is there an efix available (or in progress) for one or both of these things?

Thanks,
Vicky
Ceartas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: PMR: 56220 response Reply with quote

Novice

FYI I raised pmr and received the following response this morning.

Hello Andrew, <=== my Sunday name
We have received the following updates from our Change Team with
regards to your concern about the documentation for the FileOutputNode
and the ability to configure the FTP server directory. Unfortunately, as
per the following updates, it has been determined that the documentation
is in error on this subject. As a result, APAR IC60951 has been taken
to correct the documentation. If you have any questions or concerns
about this, please let us know. If you still feel that this is a desirable
feature in the product, please submit a requirement to that effect for our
developers to review. The Web site for doing so follows:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&context=SSFKSJ&q1=
mqreq&uid=swg21266802&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Submit the requirement directly to the address given and they will
respond directly back to you with a tracking number for you to follow
up on your request.
Thanks and best regards,
Jonathan Hoffman

ftp server directory is not a configurable property. The problem should
be forwarded to the documentation team so that the documentation could
be updated.

Hi L2,

Can you please inform the customer that the property can't be
configured and the document need to be corrected accordingly.
For the same, we request you to raise a doc APAR with the
following abstract
"ftp server directory is not a configurable property"
Regards,

Thank you for using IBM products and support.
http://www.software.ibm.com/support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IBM United Kingdom Limited
Registered in England and Wales with number 741598
Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6 3AU
Quote:

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Help please. WMB 6.1 FileOutput Node FTP (AIX to z/OS)
Jump to: