ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » JMS vs. Proprietary Java Interface - Opinions Requested

JMS vs. Proprietary Java Interface - Opinions Requested « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
queuetip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: JMS vs. Proprietary Java Interface - Opinions Requested Reply with quote

Acolyte

We would like to have our architecture support JMS because of the typical flexible benefits of it's nature.

I am digging into the MQ JMS interface to see if it has restrictions or limitations that using the proprietary MQ Java interface does not have. From what I have read to this point I don't see any.

Additionally, if using JMS introduces a significant amount of coding complexity and ambiguity in any particular area - then I'd like to know that too.

To give you an idea of what MQ techniques our app uses, here's a list:
    * Request / reply model (correlation id)
    * Sync gets
    * Async gets with triggering
    * Logical message grouping
    * Concurrent processing against a common queue (horizontal)
    * Transaction processing (commits and rollbacks)
    * Significant performance hits are always good to know

Just trying to leverage this group's experience and background for comparing the 2 java coding models - especially looking for the gotchas!

Thank you!
Mike
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

The "fleixibility" and "vendor-neutrality" of JMS is typically over-hyped.

At least in the sense that, almost nobody ever really changes their messaging provider without doing lots of modifications and changes to their applications for other things, and so the "vendor-neutrality" of JMS does not ever actually produce any significant business-value.

In my opinion, and in my experience.

As for flexibility - JMS provides a specific kind of "view' onto the messaging layer, and this view comes with a fair number of assumptions and gotchas that generally end up being in some sense "equivalent" to the assumptions and gotchas of using a proprietary solution.

In my opinion and in my experience.

On the third hand, it makes it a lot easier to support third-party applications, even if you have to spend a month educating the third-party on the peculiarities of WMQ with JMS (as they likely developed with the JMS "provider" that comes with JBoss, and thus have no real concept of an enterprise messaging solution).

In my opinion and in my experience!

Your Millage *WILL* Vary.

I'm just a guy who posts *way* too much.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I have to concurr with Jeff.

Each provider has different "quircks" and performance pittfalls.
You will need to at least take a look at optimizing the performance of your app if you switch JMS provider...

At the same time and this is entirely due to the way the JMS API is implemented and the design of the implementation of the service, each JMS provider will have its own limitations: some will work with a get accross servers, some won't. Some will be stand alone (i.e. the provider gives you all the soft that is needed to make it work), some will require a DB as backbone and persistency store ...

Enjoy
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

I fully agree with Jeff too, how many times I heard people say let's go for JMS it's a standard... bla bla
but they forget (or sometimes don't even know ) that only certain parts of the API is standardised (there are providers with specific extensions that are not JMS standard), so each provider has a different implementation/behaviour...

MQSystems Facebook page
queuetip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thank you for your insight! OK - it sounds like JMS API may be overhyped and dependent upon the JMS provider.

Since I am putting hooks in for other queuing software to be used to pass data into our system, I am still slightly leaning towards JMS at this point.

However, that depends on whether or not MQ can effectively support the MQ design features we are using today through JMS. Here they are again:

Quote:
[list=]* Request / reply model (correlation id)
* Sync gets
* Async gets with triggering
* Logical message grouping
* Concurrent processing against a common queue (horizontal)
* Transaction processing (commits and rollbacks) [/list]

Thus...
1. Does MQ support all these features through JMS?

2. If so, is the MQ JMS interface significantly complex, "bulky" or performance- challenged?

3. Are there any features MQ does not support through JMS?

Thanks again!
Mike
:D
Tibor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

As far as I remember there are more pros and cons and Java vs. JMS topic in mqseries.net.

For example JMS API does'nt support the message grouping and/or segmentation. But when you have to send messages with RFH2 header the JMS solve it quickly... etc.
queuetip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks for the feedback, Tibor.

Quote:
As far as I remember there are more pros and cons and Java vs. JMS topic in mqseries.net.

For example JMS API does'nt support the message grouping and/or segmentation. But when you have to send messages with RFH2 header the JMS solve it quickly... etc.

I looked around and I couldn't find the topic with pros and cons. It would appreciate a link if you can find it!

Are you saying message grouping isn't supported by JMS? Or do you "work around" it using the RFH2 header? What about the entire list of functionality I mention above?

Thanks!
Mike
Tibor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

queuetip wrote:
I looked around and I couldn't find the topic with pros and cons. It would appreciate a link if you can find it!

Are you saying message grouping isn't supported by JMS? Or do you "work around" it using the RFH2 header? What about the entire list of functionality I mention above?

Some links:
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31121
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8415
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3182

And I have to revoke my statement about handling message groups in JMS:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0602_currie/0602_currie.html

Hope this helps,
Tibor

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » JMS vs. Proprietary Java Interface - Opinions Requested
Jump to: