ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Messaging and Integration Technologies FAQ » Saving a whole Queue Manager before reinstallation

Saving a whole Queue Manager before reinstallation « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
BermudaIonique
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Saving a whole Queue Manager before reinstallation Reply with quote

Hello,

I might be in the wrong part. Don't hesitate to move my post to any subforum that should fit better his subject.

Someone asked me to move from 5.1 to 5.3 version of Websphere MQ. I thought i could save the whole configuration before to unistall 5.1 and reinstall 5.3.

I saw different command lines (like amqoamd, dmpmqaut) on this forum. but none seems to save all the information.

I also hear about saveqmgr.exe but i can't find it ...

If you got some clues... I want to save all this information in a file that whould be easy to use in order to re install alot the MQ series Objects.

Thanks in advance,
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Saveqmgr is more formally known as the MS03 support pac. You can find it on the IBM web site, and saves all the object definitions as runmqsc script.

Use amqoamd to save the security associated with the objects if that's in 5.1 (anyone? ). If it's not supplied with 5.1 there's another now obsolete support pac that unloads security, but amqoamd is should be used in preference if you can and certainly to unload security in 5.2 and later!
elvis_gn
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

Hi guys,

I think its time we put up a small pop up page before anyone starts a new topic....the new pop-up should ask the user if he has searched the forum for what he's looking....

This will save us a lot of trouble is answering the same questions again and again....

BermudaIonique no offense to you

Regards.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Can I suggest that this thread be moved to the FAQ section? Just had a quick look and nothing in there leaps out as being be concerned with backing up and restoring details in this way?

Last edited by Vitor on Tue May 02, 2006 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

If you're upgrading MQ on the same machine, you don't need to save and restore the queue manager.

It's not a bad idea, but it's not necessary.

You can uninstall MQ 5.1, and install 5.3, and the queue manager will still be there.
vennela
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

The saveqmgr support pac (MS03) can be found here.
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=977&uid=swg27007205

Also to save authorities, use amqoamd.
EddieA
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Quote:
Also to save authorities, use amqoamd.

Except, IIRC, version 5.1 kept the security settings in the filesystem, not on a Queue. As pointed out earlier in this thread, there used to be a SupportPac to save/restore these.

Cheers,
BermudaIonique
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to have my first post placed as FAQ. I just want to say thank you for your Quick Answers. (i think i got new questions)
kevinf2349
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
I'm happy to have my first post placed as FAQ.

Why? It just means that you didn't do a search in the first place and that people are just sick of answering the same old questions over and over again.
vennela
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Quote:
As pointed out earlier in this thread, there used to be a SupportPac to save/restore these.

It is called saveauth and mqauth52
BermudaIonique
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinf2349 wrote:
Quote:
I'm happy to have my first post placed as FAQ.

Why? It just means that you didn't do a search in the first place and that people are just sick of answering the same old questions over and over again.

It just means that the forum's organisation isn't good enought to find the proper information quickly. As i said in my post i searched and found some informations (amqoamd, dmpmqaut, saveqmgr) but never which to use and the good way to use it.

I don't means that THIS particular forum is badly made, this is a generale trouble with forum which deal with providing information. Every new commer use his own words most of suject are Named "Trouble with MQ" or "Help me" or even simplier "URGENT". I do monitor a huge photo forum and we face the same trouble with our newbies that doesn't know the -exact- word that would return the good result. We have done a FAQ and a glossary and it works ... a little... I'm still waiting for a perfect solution ! Somethings like a mix of Wiki and Forum maybe...

Anyway i'm happy that my question was general enough to worst being placed as FAQ. I hope it will help other people. Again i would like to thank people that have being helping me.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Messaging and Integration Technologies FAQ » Saving a whole Queue Manager before reinstallation
Jump to: