ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » CICS Mainframes Memory leak Debugging

CICS Mainframes Memory leak Debugging « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dfor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: CICS Mainframes Memory leak Debugging Reply with quote

Hi friends
I use CICS Mainframes and execute my C++ transactions. I have a problem with memory leaks in my program. I would like to know a way to generate any diagnostic report of the memory allocation. I checked in IBM site and found an option to produce memory diagnostic reports for CICS TXSeries. But its not applicable for CICS Mainframes. Is there any other option to identify memory leaks?
I would be glad to hear any probable solution.
wschutz
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

You might have better luck posting your question to the CICS list server:

http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/cics-l.html

It seems to be fairly active ....
Cogito-Ergo-Sum
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

CICS mainframes? I am not sure, I follow you here.

CICS is a 'started task' (a STC job); perhaps, a daemon is a close approximation. Thus, a memory leak (I am not sure of this term either; are you talking about ASRA abend* or a S0C4 abend) or others are spooled into the CICS master job. You might want to talk to your system programmers to get you a dump of the CICS job which will help you in locating the offending instruction.

BTW, is this C/C++ on mainframes?

(*abend is short for abnormal end)
---Sherlock Holmes
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

There is a CICS debugger, which is about all I know about it.

Traditionally one would diagnose mainframe storage "leaks" by taking a system dump and looking though the storage structures, or by running a GTF trace on the getmain/freemain SVCs.

However I am sure CICS has it's own storage allocation routines, can these be traced?
Gouldmar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

You need to do a CICS trace. This will show the requests for CICS services and will help you diagnose what your program is doing.

If you think your program is leaking storage (it is not often that CICS causes a storage leak!) check the followng:
Where are you specifying to get the storage on the GETMAIN? If you specified SHARED storage this will not be freed at the end of the transaction. From experience using shared storage can account for 90% of memory leak issues
You will need to check the number of EXEC CICS GETMAIN commands your program has executed compared to the number of EXEC CICS FREEMAIN commands, if your program runs for the full life of CICS region then your program not freeing the storage will cause the storage usage to increase.

A good reference point for CICS probelm solving is the CICS Problem Determination manual, you can download a copy from the IBM web site.

If you need more help, then post back.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » CICS Mainframes Memory leak Debugging
Jump to: