ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexMainframe, CICS, TXSeriesQuery on mutiple messages across platforms

Query on mutiple messages across platforms View previous topic :: View next topic
vikrambt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:22 am Post subject: Query on mutiple messages across platforms Reply with quote

I am a new user for MQ, and started reading the documentation. I have been asked to develop a program to do file transmission between PCs and mainframe. My scenario is as follows:
- About 100 PCs need to send one file each to mainframe
- Mainframe needs to send one file each to the 100 PCs as a reply to the above files
- Additionally mainframe needs to broadcast one file to all these PCs.
Based on the documentation on MQ, I have designed a solution with three Q's as follows
- MQ1 is opened as output by all PCs and as input by mainframe (MVS)
- MQ2 is opened as input by PCs and as output by MVS
- MQ3 is opened as input by PCs and as output by MVS
- All PCs will put their ID and send the messages to MQ1, and MVS will recieve all the messages
- MVS will receive those files, prepare a reply file, move in the appropriate ID as above and put the 100 files in MQ2
- PCs will look for messages in MQ2 with their IDs and get their messages
- MVS will put the file to be broadcast as a message in MQ3
- All the PCs will do a non-destructive read of the message from MQ3
- There will be seperate programs in PCs and MVS associated with all the three Q's

Requesting comments from the experts in this group, on feasibility of this solution.

Thanks in advance,
Vikram
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

What happens when a PC can't put the message into a file?

What happens when MVS can't process a file?

What happens when a PC can't process a reply?

How do you know when you can remove the message from MQ3? How do you know if a PC didn't read the message on MQ3?

Who needs to know when something breaks? Who needs to know when everything works? How are they supposed to know?

How much time have you budgeted for this project? How long after you've written it will it take to get it working "right"? How much is your time worth? Is it more cost effective for the company to buy Commerce Quest's PM4Data or another 3rd party file transfer solution instead? Is it more time effective?
vikrambt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Thanks for a very fast reply. Let me add another piece of info. What I meant by PC, is a PC like system. In fact it is IBM4690 controller. While it has MQ support, I assume PM4Data can't be run on this. My answers/thoughts on other questions inline

jefflowrey wrote:
What happens when a PC can't put the message into a file?

What happens when MVS can't process a file?
<Vikram> If MVS can't process, the message will be in the Q and we can schedule the reading program to try again

What happens when a PC can't process a reply?
<Vikram> As above, the message will be in the Q and can be read later

How do you know when you can remove the message from MQ3? How do you know if a PC didn't read the message on MQ3?
<Vikram> As per MQ document, one can setup a message in MQ such a way that it can trigger the reading program. We can make the reading program in PC to send a reply to MVS through MQ1.
Who needs to know when something breaks? Who needs to know when everything works? How are they supposed to know?
<vikram> All the writing and reading program will have their own log files, which can be monitored periodically. FYI information, all these transmission need to occur only once in a day.

How much time have you budgeted for this project? How long after you've written it will it take to get it working "right"? How much is your time worth? Is it more cost effective for the company to buy Commerce Quest's PM4Data or another 3rd party file transfer solution instead? Is it
more time effective?
<Vikram> Need to work on the estimate/cost

jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

I guess I don't know about a 4690 controller either.

My point about MQ3 was this. The mainframe puts a message there. All clients read the message. No client removes the message. The mainframe puts another message there. Lather, rinse, repeat... When do messages get removed? How do they get removed?

As you said, you can use a request/reply model to enable the mainframe to ensure that all PCs have read the message. And then, I suppose, you can remove the message then and do alerts and stuff. But it's probably more complicated then is really needed.

If the messages aren't really really large, you can use Pub/Sub and have each PC do a destructive GET. Or you can use expiration and have the message removed automatically after a certain period of time.

Most of my questions are really just things you should think about - not things that I'm really looking for an answer to.
vikrambt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff.
Yes, they are really helpful for me. I haven't thought about message removal from MQ3. Now I have an answer too. Will think further to see if I can come up with a good solution.

I wanted to find out if I am on the right track.

Regards,
Vikram
ashoon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:33 am Post subject: pm4data and 4690 Reply with quote

Master

pm4data has a 4690 client that can do exactly what you're describing there and there's an optional “Continuous Extract Facility” for TLOG Trickle Feed...

MQSeries.net Forum IndexMainframe, CICS, TXSeriesQuery on mutiple messages across platforms
Jump to: